Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Dining Room Reveal

I am 95% done with our dining room! I am SO happy to finally be able to say that!

Monday afternoon I took pictures of the new dining room table so that I could show you on Tuesday. I also snapped a few pictures of the whole dining room, just to see how the progress pictures were looking. When I loaded the pictures on my laptop, I was kind of sad. The room was really close to done, but it still felt REALLY off. The only major thing that still needed to be done was to hang new curtains, but I wasn't sure that the curtains were going to bring it all together. I liked everything in the room, but for some reason I wasn't liking everything all together like I thought that I would. I had already convinced myself that the curtains wouldn't make enough difference, and that I would have to just repaint the room and do something different. Not a good feeling.

The new curtains arrived around lunch time on on Wednesday, so I stopped everything I was doing to get them hung. I couldn't wait to see how they looked. I stepped back, and the room finally felt like I was picturing in my mind. I didn't really goof, I just needed to finish the room. I was so relieved.

I'm not really sure why I told you all of that, but I proved to myself, once again, that fabric is so important in a room. You can have the right furniture, lighting, and stuff on the walls, but it will not feel finished until you have fabric. I think that is why, when I started the series "Got 200?", I focus on adding color and pattern to a room in the form of curtains and pillows. It makes SUCH a difference, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune.

Let's move on to the actual dining room.


 I am really happy with how everything turned out. I am also really happy that it is mostly done!

 
 Here is the most recent before picture that I could find of the dining room. The curtains had actually been changed back to the brown chevron, but I never got around to taking pictures.

 original before, just after we moved in

You should actually go way back to the very beginning and check out the original before pictures. You can see the progression of updates here. I have made a lot of changes, and been through numerous dining room chairs. 


The biggest change is the new dining room table that Asher built. I also swapped the red chandelier with the one that was over our breakfast table, added new bamboo shades, swapped the painted silhouettes for the metal floral art that was in the foyer, added new curtains, and added a gold mirror as a place holder where the chalkboard and sconces once were.


 I am still considering turning the large mirror into a chalkboard, but I'm not sure. My main reason for considering it is because we always have birthday parties in this room, and the mirror makes it hard to take pictures. No one wants to stand in front of the mirror to get a picture of the birthday boy/girl. We also do school in this room, so a chalkboard would be nice to have.


The gold mirror will get moved somewhere else, but I'm not sure exactly what I want here. It will stay until I decide. I'm thinking about a gallery wall (like this one), or maybe even just one picture or some type of word art framed in a white frame and with large white mat. 



 What is your favorite part of the room?


Source List
Table - built by my husband
Chairs - bought from a neighbor
Chair Fabric - Target Shower Curtain, no longer available on-line
Green Hurricane - Pier One, many years ago
Curtains - Target
White Mirror - hand me down, painted white
Metal Floral Art - belonged to my Mother, but were original purchase at a second hand store
Gold Mirror - Hobby Lobby
Chandelier - Came with the house, spray painted Oil Rubbed Bronze
Bamboo Shades - Home Depot

I am linking this post to these blog parties. Please go check them out.
A Bowl Full of Lemons
The Pearl Blog - All Things Pretty Part-ay
Liz Marie Blog
House of Rose
Blissfully Ever After
Love of Home and Family
Tatertots and Jello
I Heart Nap Time
Lil' Luna
Somewhat Simple
Today's Creative Blog
Suburbs Mama
Making Home Base
Design, Dining + Diapers
Frugal Friday - The Shabby Nest  







3 comments:

  1. that looks great! I looove the chairs and the pattern on the seat, and those curtains! my dining room has gone thru lots of changes, too-I'm actually writing the post for the most recent update. hopefully there will be no more tweaking after that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the wall color. And, of course, the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I need to have a girls night soon so that you can come see it in person.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! I read and appreciate each and every single one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...